المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : Displaying Messages To Users -- "Command" or "Polite"?

C# Programming
07-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Hi, I'm just wondering if there are any rules to follow when displaying messages to users. Are there any particular circumstances in which you should "command" the user to do something rather than "ask" them to do something? For example, say you have a login form. The user must of course provide a username and password. If the user does not provide a password should you say "Provide a password and try again" or "Please specify a password and try again"?

I ask this question because I watched a video on YouTube involving ASP .NET Web Form user input validation techniques. The "instructor" said he did not want to command the user to do something but rather inform them politely that they must do it. But I see in some software (and on various products' packaging, too) a mix of "commands" and "polite requests". Some may say "You must provide search terms before you can continue" and then later on something like "Please fill in the required fields and try again".

I hope this makes sense. Hehe. I'm never great with explanations and creating/using examples. But I try. :-P

Thanks in advance!