End Google Ads 201810 - BS.net 01 --> Hi; I am stumped on what search terms to use to find information on this without getting far far too many 'false positives'.

My application embeds metadata in files that support embedded metadata. For files that DON'T support embedded metadata, I want to create a "sidecar" file.

There is a feature of Internet Explorer that works like this:

When you save a Webpage from Internet Explorer (in certain circumstances, I'm not sure which) it will create a folder with the same name as the file (without the extension of course) and store all the "assets" associated with the page in that folder. If you attempt to delete the folder of assets, it also deletes the .html file that refers to them... and vice versa.

so, there is some kind of hard-wired relationship between the HTML file and the folder full of assets.

I want to be able to make such a connection between a file that has been tagged, and the metadata that is associated with that file, such that if the file is moved, the metadata will be moved along with it, as an artifact of this OS-level "feature".

Perhaps its not an OS level feature on Windows, and some other jiggery-pokery is involved.

But the best I could come up with is to search terms and phrases like

"Webpage, complete" save from Internet Explorer files joined

and in place of "joined" using terms like "linked", "group" etc.

Can someone provide either a suggestion for the exact functionality I am trying to learn about, perhaps a code fragment that can be used to establish such a connection between a datafile and the metadata "sidecar" file?

Thanks in advance